Verona Pa Flower & Garden Club
The Verona Flower and Garden Club was established in 2007 by Bob & Marianne Brayer who envisioned the need for both a social and a civic organization that would serve to:
– Promote, encourage, foster and cultivate interest in garden floriculture.
– Assist all members in the care and maintenance of their gardens.
– Encourage civic beautification and roadside development.
– Assist in projects for the conservation of natural resources.
Cooperate with other agencies in furthering the interests of conservation, horticulture and landscape design.
Generous monetary contributions from the Verona Chamber of Commerce, the Verona Borough, individual businesses and a number of philanthropic citizens, has allowed the VFGC to complete a number of beautification projects in the central business district of Verona. Notable projects include:
• installation of sidewalk planters in the Verona business district
• installed a garden along Allegheny River Boulevard (corner of James St. & ARB)
• hanging flower baskets on the Roger Duffy viaduct
• Verona gazebo improvement project
• improvement to the steps leading to Verona’s parklet
To join the Verona Flower and Garden Club or to make a contribution call 412-828-3965.
Verona, Pa Historical Society
The Verona Historical Society is dedicated to the collection, preservation, and promotion of our region’s rich and interesting history.
The society envisions leading and inspiring historical research and acquiring artifacts for the purpose of public display in order to educate its citizens about our interesting past.
The society has established a history room in Verona’s Borough building for the community to enjoy and enrich their knowledge and appreciation of Verona’s unique heritage. [CLICK HERE]
Verona in Progress (VIP)
The Verona In Progress Association was started in 2005 by co-founders, Lea Ann Grill and Obie Morford. It is comprised of local individuals who are dedicated to civic causes. Its mission is to work closely with its residents, business owners, borough officials, local law enforcement personnel and other civic organizations for the continued betterment of the community. The VIP attempts to heighten community awareness of issues pertaining to the enforcement of borough codes, litter, animal control, drug activity and unsupervised youth. By working together cooperatively and cohesively as a community, the Verona In Progress Association strives to create a progressive environment that is safe as well as clean. The VIP Association envisions a community that will benefit from added tax revenues created by rising property values and new businesses.
Since its inception, the VIP has initiated a number of community focused projects. Noteworthy projects started through the inspiration, dedication and hard work of its volunteers include:
• fund raising for the Borough’s security cameras
• a neighborhood block-watch program
• VIP sponsored community food and clothing drives
• VIP sponsored community dinner
• a police & safety committee
• scheduled “Litter Clean Up Days”
• free “Concerts In The Park”
• free “Movies In The Park”
• the Verona Flower and Garden Club
• the Verona Historical Society
• the Verona Arts Council
• a Bocce league
• a Thursday Farmers market
• a Saturday Flea Market
• the G-Tech “Sunflower Project”
• revival of the Holiday Tree Burning Celebration
• neighborhood TIP Sheets
• neighbors-helping-neighbors projects
The VIP meets the first Tuesday of every month in the Verona Borough Building (736 E. Railroad Ave., 15147) at 7:00 PM. Meetings revolve around committee reports followed by general discussion. Frequently, guest speakers are invited to speak on topics of specific community interest. The Verona In Progress Association is always interested in recruiting new members. Only through a robust membership can the VIP continue to accomplish its many goals. If you’re (1) tired of that “complaining and getting nowhere” runaround, (2) are sincerely ready to help make a difference in your community and (3) can spare the time, please attend one of the meetings.